The NEED for Business Mentoring
Whether considering mentoring support, or having previously attended a mentoring session .. either way, now could be the time to hit that “RESET BUTTON” for action!
In the world of technology, there are two types of resets: a hard reset and a soft reset.
A hard reset reboots the machine to a functioning state, as if you were switching it back on after a period of the machine being off.
A soft reset reboots the machine within the software it is running, closing applications and clearing the data in the RAM without affecting your settings. It’s less drastic compared to a hard reset, which turns the clock back to original factory settings and completely erases everything.
The resetting process also exists in the world of business.
The soft reset is used to realign activities to relieve business of certain strategic commitments that they perhaps should not have pursued in the first place, were maybe executed improperly, or in hindsight, were not relevant to the core business concept. Soft resets usually fix issues with product, operations, marketing, branding, or strategies. It can help fine-tune a business’s approach to challenges or opportunities.
Often, it is a hard reset that business may need in order to move forward. It means refreshing the structure, overhauling the strategy of how a company competes, and adopting a mental model to drive creativity. It’s basically throwing everything out; even the business basics need to be part of the reconfiguration.
In cases where disruption affects business and threatens survival, a soft reset alone often cannot solve the problem.What’s needed is a complete hard reset – a full-scale strategic transformation.
7 REASONS WHY YOU NEED A BUSINESS MENTOR
*You don’t know what you don’t know,
*Start small, think Big,
*Focus- It’s all about you,
*Secure a sounding board for ideas and strategies,
*Validate your ideas ,
*Broaden your perspective for ideas and opportunities you may have not considered.We call this “Looking Sideways”.
*Work with a pragmatic partner that’s helps you focus on working more ON your business and less IN your business.
Highvale Mentoring’s goal is to encourage all small business owners to identify positives and think like big business
Highvale Small Business Mentoring helps business owners, and there is no denying the value of one-on-one consultation with an experienced person that wants to help you with exactly what you need help with, even if you don’t know what that is yet. Mentoring sessions are great to up-skill yourself and fill in any knowledge gaps, but most importantly engaging a mentor in a one-on-one session is worth its weight in gold.
“A mentor is someone who sees more talent and ability within you, than you see in yourself, and helps bring it out of you.”
Business is a JUNGLE!
*old mentors saying …”when you’re up to your neck in crocodiles, it’s sometimes hard to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp ! ”
Highvale Mentoring can help you separate the urgent from the important, get you focused, and make you accountable.
We don’t have the magic answer to fix all the problems in your business, but we sure can help you define the strategies that impact your business – marketing, digital, merchandising, business strategies, branding, growth, succession planning, time management, human resources, staff training, pricing, inventory management , grant applications etc,etc – the list goes on.
We won’t run your business for you, but we’re here to help you work through whatever is on your mind.
How Highvale Mentoring can assist- Q&A
- Are you Working IN your business, or ON your business? It’s common for small business owners to work IN their business instead of working ON their business. Whilst it can be hard to step back from the day-to-day chores, it is important to WORK SMARTER- NOT HARDER.
- How is a Mentor going to help me? We can provide an independent perspective to the conversation and contribute to the decision process. This can create clarity and a greater focus on key factors.
- How many sessions should I have? We have many clients that seek ongoing support. Mentors are there to help you for as long as you need their help.
- How many sessions should I have? That is up to you. However our experience is that long term benefit can best be obtained with a minimum of 4 sessions.
Highvale Mentoring Format – Q&A
- Confidentiality? Completely confidential. The mentoring process will touch on very confidential and sometimes personal issues.
- Business Tools required? There are a number of standard business tools such as business and marketing plans that are easily downloadable from the internet.
- One or more sessions? There is no set format. It will depend on several factors and we will help you assess the ideal date for your next meeting.
- Will I have a record of my mentoring sessions? Yes. After each session we will write a brief report covering the important issues discussed and list the Action Items to be carried out.
- Mentoring session attendees ? We strongly recommend owners and/or managers are present to ensure the process kicks off without any misunderstandings.
- Action Items – are they needed ? Action points may seem a bit less than exciting but they go a long way to clarifying issues and gaining more insight into your business. They will relate to the progress needed to build your business or resolve problems and will cover all aspects of any issues being discussed.
Highvale Mentoring Structure – Q&A
What’s involved in the mentoring process? Research has shown that learning occurs when people listen, take notes and then are given a task to apply this learning. At the conclusion of each session you and your Mentor will agree on a set of actions you will need to carry out as part of the process of building your business and addressing issues. These Action Items will be reviewed and refined during the course of the mentoring process.
What topics are covered during my mentoring sessions? This depends on your specific problems or challenges. Some clients need immediate advice to remain in business whilst others need more strategic long term support.
How many times do I see the Mentor? That is up to you. Typically the first session is finding out about your business or proposed business and creating action points to work on.
Do I need to do any preparation prior to the first mentoring session? The more information you can give your Mentor at the first session the better to understand your business and issues. Some of the subjects your Mentor will be interested to learn about will include your financial position, vision and ideas, any challenges and opportunities you face, an overview of your industry and what your service or product is. Completing a supplied 2 page 9 point Mentoring Brief Template will provide the information needed to assist you.
Do I bring a Business Plan to the mentoring session? An existing Business Plan helps, but lots of small businesses don’t have one and is not critical prior to meeting with us.
What format does a Highvale Mentoring session follow? There is a loose format that applies, but every business has differing requirements. Our role is to assist you to identify, address, and resolve issues that are relevant to your business.
Cost of Highvale Mentoring – Q&A
Is Mentoring expensive? The answer to that question depends on whether you see the exercise as an investment for your future or as just another bill to pay. It represents excellent value for money when weighed against the potential for lost opportunities. We recommend 3 – 4 sessions spread over 8 weeks with each session lasting around 1-1½ hours.
Mentoring is a process that requires working with the business owner to delve into the core of the business and develop an Operational Plan that will guide the business forward. The process and interaction required is a major factor in why an optimal 4 mentoring sessions is effective.We also offer single mentoring sessions.
How far will the Mentor travel to see me? As far as Zoom or Skype virtual will reach. Alternatively Face to Face can allow SEQ meeting at a mutually agreed location. Regional areas can also be effectively carried out by Zoom or Skype.
Are Highvale Mentoring sessions tax deductible? A Tax Invoice will be supplied upon payment receipt but you should check your individual tax requirements with your Accountant.
What is the Highvale Mentoring payment structure? The preferred payment method is by direct bank deposit. Payment is required prior to the session.
Begin the discussion today, and get help to shape your business into a more effective and productive operation.